Story and photos by: HALEY HOLCOMB / April-June 2017
What kid doesn’t love donuts? They’re sugary, sometimes covered in choclate or sprinkles, can be filled with jelly and are all around a good breakfast snack if not eaten too much. My children love donuts, but of course they do not understand eating them in moderation.
When I came across this recipe for apple donuts I was a bit skeptic. My kids like fruit, but I wasn’t sure how they would react to cream cheese on apples. I have never tried it, so I wasn’t too sure if this is something that we would like. I am always willing to try something once though, and when I metioned the idea to my youngest son he seemed pretty excitied to make his own “donuts.”
In the end this was a great activity and snack for my kids. It was fun to make the “donuts” and we all enjoyed them greatly. My youngest son enjoyed mixing the cream cheese with the food coloring and dropping the sprinkles on the donuts.
I was also surprised how well the apple and cream cheese tasted together. I was most worried about what my 4-year-old would think, but surprisingly he loved them so much that he ate two all by himself.
This is a great snack to make on a lazy day, or even something you can make at a get-together. If you are like me and are skeptic about what your child will think, just try it. Your child might surprise you like my son did. This is now a snack that we make atleast a couple times a month and these donuts are definitely better than actual donuts.
• Cream Cheese
• Food Coloring (optional)
• Sprinkles (optional)
• You can choose to peel the apple before or after making slices.
• Cut the apples in strips, then cut out the core.
• (Optional) Put cream cheese in seperate contaners and mix with food coloring until you get the desired color.
• Spread the cream cheese on top of the apple slices.
• Add optional topping, could be sprinkles, nuts, etc.
• Eat and enjoy.
• When spreading the cream cheese frosting on the apple, keep in mind that the apple is slippery so it will take a little work to get the spread on their evenly.
• Try different flavors of cream cheese or toppings. Peanut butter sounds good.